Patients who are suffering from gum recession often seek our doctors' expertise to learn about their treatment options. Lormel Gate Dentistry is one of only a handful of practices in the country that offers the minimally invasive Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique®. This new method of treating gum recession has been tied to better patient outcomes than traditional techniques. Many of our patients benefit from comparing the costs, benefits, and risks of the Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique® vs. soft tissue grafting at our Brampton practice. If you suffer from receding gums and would like to get more information about this revolutionary new treatment, please contact our office to schedule a consultation with Dr . Devang Gandhi.
Traditional Soft Tissue Grafting
While the traditional soft tissue grafting procedure is safe and effective, it requires a more invasive approach than The Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique®. For the traditional method, your doctor will remove a small piece of gum tissue, usually from the roof of your mouth, and graft it into place above the tooth that is in need of treatment. Patients will experience some level of pain, discomfort, and bleeding from the incisions and the sutures.
The Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique®
Dr . Devang Gandhi has undergone training to perform The Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique®. During the procedure, he will create a small pin-sized hole in the gingival tissue above the tooth that needs treatment. Dr . Devang Gandhi will then use dental instruments to gently loosen the gum tissue so that he can move it into an appropriate position, ensuring that the sensitive roots of the tooth are covered. The treatment requires no sutures and no incisions.
Comparing the Two Methods
The main differences between traditional soft tissue grafting and procedures using The Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique® can help patients better understand which option is right for them:
- Cost - While the actual cost of both procedures is generally comparable, The Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique® can actually bring down your total cost of treatment because it gives Dr . Devang Gandhi the ability to treat multiple teeth during the same procedure. Traditional soft tissue grafting typically requires multiple surgeries to treat the same number of teeth.
- Level of Invasiveness - While both treatments effectively correct the effects of gum recession, The Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique® is less invasive, virtually pain-free, and does not require sutures.
- Aesthetics - The Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique® produces instant results that are noticeable immediately following the procedure. Traditional methods require ample healing time, often several weeks, before the results can be seen.
- Recovery - Because The Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique® does not involve any incisions or sutures, the recovery period is much shorter than the traditional procedure.
- Results - Both procedures produce corrective results for treating gum recession. However, only The Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique® offers immediate results, and the procedure only takes about an hour to complete.
Schedule a Consultation
If you suffer from gum recession and are interested in learning more about your candidacy for these procedures, please contact our office to make an appointment with Dr . Devang Gandhi.